Thursday, July 30, 2009

Organic Food: Evil Marketing Ploy? Most Definitely.

As the hippies say, "The corporations are trying to bring us down. I've got some literature you need to read." Ever since I read the first two chapters of Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food, (that's as far as I've gotten) I've become slightly more knowledgeable about what I should be putting into my body, which is why I have Taco Bell 2 to 3 times per week.

That tradition might need to change soon (unless chest pains are actually a good thing), but it's hard for me to pay more money for healthier food that doesn't fill me up as much. That's why I've never gone organic, way too expensive. But hey, that's their right if they're making foods that are better for our bodies, right?

Turns out it's another brilliant marketing ploy that's duping us all.

According to Reuters and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (oh, don't worry - they're legit) "Our review indicates that there is currently no evidence to support the selection of organically over conventionally produced foods on the basis of nutritional superiority."

BOOSH!!

Organic food sales have already taken a drop because of some kind of economic downturn we're in (this is the first I've heard of it) so this news will only make things worse for the organic food industry.

Even though I've barely cracked Pollan's book, his philosophy is just seven words and is on the front cover. "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

If you really want to go organic, buy gobs of fruits and vegetables and eat the shit out of them. They're all-natural no matter where you get them from. Aside from that, I recommend you join me in kissing the organic food craze goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment