On top of that, she knew I didn't get much sleep last night, so waiting for me when I got to work was an email from her with an array of content like lolcats, a picture of a monkey dressed as a cowboy while riding a dog, and an assortment of Arrested Development and 30 Rock quotes. A lot of people know me pretty well, but no one knows me like my Jess.
So to pay it forward, here are some things to help get you through your hump day.
First, thanks to @acegrl for introducing me to KYM.
This is my new favorite site, and it's absolutely insane how much fun you can have on here. Before I go into it any further, here's a lesson: the word 'meme' rhymes with 'cream.' Do not pronounce it 'may-may' or 'me-me,' or else you'll sound like a big, fat reed. I may or may not have thought it was pronounced may-may before I googled it. Don't make the same mistake.
KYM says its goal is "Documenting Internet phenomena: viral videos, image macros, catchphrases, web celebs and more." It tracks the origin and eventual explosion of these Internet phenomena, and also provides examples, typically submitted by readers. Some of my favorite memes:
- Nic Cage as Everyone: Takes the actor's face and throws it on pictures, like the one above. That Nic Cage photo also fits the "Argument is Invalid" meme.
- Ramirez! Do Everything! My personal favorite meme so far thanks to my MW2 addiction. During the game's Campaign mode, Sergeant Foley routinely yells at Ramirez to perform various tasks to complete missions. Foley never calls out anyone but Ramirez. Thus, 'Ramirez! Do Everything!' was born. My personal favorite variations include 'Ramirez! Throw Your Knife at the AC130!' 'Ramirez! Divide By Zero!' and 'Ramirez! Help Me Beat New Super Mario Bros Wii! It's Too Hard!'
- Crasher Squirrel: A fuzzy little guy who can't help being a dick by ruining photos.
- Sewer Horse: He's always watching.
- Grammar Nazi: Here's the one that fits me the best. Whenever someone has a typo in their text, I feel compelled to point it out. Ironically, the people correcting idiots and their horrendous grammar are usually the ones who are ostracized by the rest of the group. But as the chart below shows, the Internet community generally likes bringing up Nazis to try to put an end to a lengthy online discussion, be they Grammar, White Supremacist, or Soup.
2. Pink at the Grammys
Thanks to Bighead for telling me about this vid. Most of it is just Pink showcasing her highly underrated vocals and doing a visual transition from virginal nun to streetwalking whore, but there's a definite OH SNAP! moment at the end of the video. Pink is kind of a badass.
Side note: Someone told me the Grammys are on television every year, but I quickly set him straight, telling him the Grammys occur once every 4 years, like the World Cup and Barack Obama.
3. An lolcats compilation
I know it's wrong, but I love me some lolcats. I can't help it. Thanks to The Jess for the inspiration on this one. Happy hump day, peeps. Have fun with Know Your Meme.
Update: This is too fantastic not to share.